An Xcom 2 hotfix went live today, which is good, since the only real negative criticism people can throw at the game is that it’s perhaps – at best – a little rough around the edges, and – at worst – broken. Today Firaxis took the first step in solving that criticism.
Despite the hefty 700 MB Xcom 2 hotfix, the patch notes are relatively brief. I mean, Firaxis do call it a hotfix and not an update. There’s no telling why a hotfix took nearly two weeks, though. They may as well have called it a lukewarm fix. Or maybe even a room temperature fix.
XCOM 2 Patch Notes
- Player is unable to progress to scan in the Geoscape after completing the Resistance Communications research via Tutorial – This will fix previously affected saves.
- Unable to load saves with a Chryssalid Cocoon – This will fix the issue, and for previously affected saves.
- Adjustments were made to Texture Streaming to assist with periodic frame spikes.
- Using the preview voice button for a modded voice pack will no longer crash the game when in the armory.
- Removed 8x MSAA from default Max settings.
So yes, no miracle fixes, but a step in the right direction. Maybe soon I can actually feel comfortable diving back into the game. The longer I played, the more I read about saves breaking, or game-breaking bugs. And with my stubborn insistence on playing with Ironman enabled, I figured it’d be best to take a step back from Xcom 2 until Firaxis can buff out some of the issues.
I still think the game itself is great, but since even I’m not currently playing it much at all, I’m not sure I can recommend Xcom 2 yet. But I’ll keep sticking to playing one mission every few days and hoping for the best. Of course you can always with Ironman disabled and save regularly.
But play Xcom 2 without Ironman?