After a week in the PTR, the Overwatch Sombra patch finally hits the live servers! And not just for PC players either, console fans get to play as the Hispanic hacker as the update goes live for PS4 and Xbox One as well.
But that’s not all. Dubbed as Update 1.5, the new patch also includes a couple of new game modes, some hero balances, and some general changes to the game. So let’s dive in and see what Blizzard gave us.
The Overwatch Sombra Patch
Of course the biggest change in the patch is the addition of Overwatch’s 23rd hero — Sombra.
Now for those that haven’t been keeping up with Sombra in the PTR, here’s everything you need to know about her, gameplay-wise as taken from her official hero page.
Categorized as an Offense Hero.
- Equipped with a fully automatic machine pistol in a short-range spread.
- Has a passive that allows her to see enemies at less than half health through walls.
- Has four active abilities including her ultimate.
- Hack — Sombra hacks enemies to temporarily stop them from using their abilities, or hacks first aid kits to make them useless to her opponents.
- Thermoptic Camo — Sombra becomes invisible for a short period of time, during which her speed is boosted considerably. Attacking, using offensive abilities, or taking damage disables her camouflage.
- Translocator — Sombra tosses out a translocator beacon. She can instantly return to the beacon’s location while it is active (including when it’s in mid-flight).
- EMP (Ultimate) — Sombra discharges electromagnetic energy in a wide radius, destroying enemy barriers and shields and hacking all opponents caught in the blast.
All in all, her entire kit makes her ideal at picking off stragglers escaping from the fight. At the same time though, her ultimate could easily turn the tables in the final moments of overtime, being able to completely disable either the defending or attacking side.
Introducing the Arcade
Alongside Sombra comes a new feature known as the Arcade.
The Arcade will host a bunch of different game types that don’t fit the standard of Quick Play or Competitive Play. This includes past Overwatch weekly brawls, special rule sets, and the new 3v3 and 1v1 arena.
Speaking of which, with the Arcade also comes a new special “Arena” map — Ecopoint: Antarctica.
The new location is a compact map designed with the 3v3 skirmish and 1v1 duel mode in mind.
In addition to these changes they’ve also announced the end of Competitive Season 2 and the start of Season 3.
Season 2 will end on November 23, 4PM PDT while Season 3 will begin a week later on November 30, 4PM PDT.
Other than the highlights mentioned above, the patch also includes some general changes to the overall game as well as a few hero balances.
Some notable changes include a fixed experience requirement to gain a level once a player has reset their level. This was made to prevent players from not playing after resetting to save the fresh start levels for a seasonal event like the Summer Games or Halloween.
Likewise, certain heroes saw some changes as well. Ana, D. Va, Lúcio, Mei, Mercy, Pharah, Soldier: 76, Torbjörn, Widowmaker, and Zarya all saw some changes.
Lastly, they fixed some general bugs still in the game.
A full list of changes can be found on their official forums here.